Is it good idea to travel on Smart?

• First of all, excuse me for english and for off-topic!
    I really need an advise from Smart owners.
    We are going to Italy on vacations and whant to rent a car.
    Smart is offered by good price and I whant to rent it.
    But,is it smart to rent a Smart for the trip around Italy from Roma to Palermo and return?

Thank You for answers in english!

• Hello!

As in most cases there are a few points to take into account:

1. How much baggage do plan to carry with you? If i think of two huge hardcases as most tourist use, it will be hard to place them into the car. I don't know where you are from, but if you have a chance take a look at a Smart and try to figure out if all will fit in.

2. The angle of the second seat's rear can't be adjusted. It is fix in a more or less comfortable position. This maybe a concern on long distances.

For the rest it is a very fine car. I travel around 20000 km a year and had now problems. Even non-stop (ok, one tank stop) trips around 500 km are no problem (and i had bigger cars, where it was!).

I hope you will enjoy your stay in Italy!
    [just in case, let us know how you enjoyed your Smart]

Magnus

• Hi Whale,

I couldn't have said it better than an.user :))

Hard cases are hard to store in the little car but if you use soft cases it's possible to store enough for two persons for a one or two weeks trip if you just want to transport clothes and the necessary things you normally need.

For Roma, Palermo, and other cities the Smart surely is the right car.

But keep in mind that it's not really a "long distance" car (others my have a different opinion here :)) ). But on the other hand it's not allowed to drive really fast on Italian motorways :D

If you dicide to take a Smart, don't forget to look that it's a model with air condition.

Have much fun!

KPK 8)
    ----
    Mine Galerie

• You will find enough space for luggage in soft cases and could top a large bag in the rear. Smart has very good seats so there will be no problems with that.

Really bad roads could cause an uncomfortable ride, for the a little harder suspension (differs from age of the car) and the short wheelbase gives a unique feeling.
    (Mine is a 2000er with a really hard carbon-leaf, the newer ones are softer, and I really do enjoy it; been on holiday with it this summer with 1.400 km one way.) But you should decide yourself.

If you are not used to Smarties, I really suggest you just try the experience. Smart might not be the most comfortable car for long-time-runs, but is far away to be the worst and some trips across the country are just more fun within a smart car.

And, just write down how you liked it, as soon you're back, ok?

stay smart

Desi

• Hi!

The two weeks and 2700 km around southen Italy on Smart car.
    We had no problems with one big and one small soft bags and the salon was really roomy for two. We even put the small tree (bansai) under windscreen, so the car became more funny :)
    Of course, it`s a good car in the city and there are a lot of Smarts in Italy.
    I think, we never did more than 300 km in a day and it wasn`t a problem, but in spite of comfortable seats, sometimes my back began paining.
    On autostrada I often went 140 km/h on speedometer(poor Smart!), but the speed limit, lack of power and bad aerodinamics made driving a little uncomfortable.
    Smart Brabus must be better...Oh, I didn`t say that my own car is Impreza WRX, so you understand me ;)
    On another hand, we had have enough time to look around and had no problems with police.
    Another bad thing about Smart is some electronic errors:
    Sometimes in the "N" position of selector, the engine doesn`t start up and it shows "1", but if I take down the hand brake, it`s OK. Sometimes the rear wipe switches on by himself and I didn`t know how to switch it off and once the breakdown lights didn`t want to switch off.

But all of this is small points, I have no regrets about my choice.
    I like this small funny car!

Thanks to all!

• Hi Whale!

Fine that enjoyed your ride in your Smart.

Well, if you drive an Impreza normally it must have felt like riding with the brakes on on the highway :) But seen the assumed speed limits, your Smart may even have saved quite a lot of money ;)

Magnus